Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Week 3, and 1/26

Last week was a lot of fun. I got to observe the way Micky gets things done, like how to get people to let us into restricted areas. Although that part wasn't exactly an O&M lesson, I think it is a useful strategy to know for my future of working with classroom teachers and families.

The elevator fear is slowly going away... I think. After class last Thursday I went on some in the stadium, and was surprised how easy it was. So far I have not avoided any that really would have been useful. I am almost excited about the idea of going to the capital building, all the way to the 22nd floor. I'll even try not to ramble on with pointless conversation and stop squeezing my hands. I'll get there there eventually.

On Thursday apparently I summoned the rain, sorry guys.

Today was interesting. I never realized how badly the doors are numbered in our building. That would be very confusing for a person with a visual impairment who has recently come to our building. I remember being confused when I came back from a summer and they had changed all the numbers, so I can imagine what that would have been like for a visually impaired person. I am looking forward to Thursday, and exploring our new environments. I picked Diffinbaugh, a place I had almost every class in my first 2 years at FSU. I haven't been back there in 3 years, so I am not sure how familiar it will be. Anyway, I do look forward to us in blindfolds around large groups of people, and when they stare at us hearing Micky's comments about how their major couldn't possibly be better than ours.

On another note, as I have been reading the history chapters in the red book I have learned a lot more about the VA. Maybe it is because I am also taking the Aging and Blindness course, but I am suddenly very interested in how teaching there would differ from working in a school. I thought I would do my O&M internship at a school, but I feel like I have experienced that, and now I might want to see what it is like at a VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment