Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It's dark and I can hear people laughing...

I really enjoyed learning two point touch today. I was nice to 'officially' learn and practice it (I had seen it enough times I tried it a few times at home before today). It is more complex than the diagonal cane technique, there was so much more to think about I felt like I didn't have enough brain power left over to try to listen to the walls. I still made it down the hallway without running into anything...until we got downstairs.
When I tried walking my route from the bathrooms to the janitors closet I don't know if I was just over confident or not really thinking about my environment, but I think I hit about 6 or 7 walls. The thing that really freaked me out were the girls in the corner of the hallway. I used their voices to help me get to that corner, so I was aware they were standing there. I don't know what I expected to happen, so I just froze. I didn't have a calm planned out reaction to this situation. When I hit the walls earlier I had prepared for that, so to me there was to reason to get upset. But when I was around those girls in the corner I shut down. I remember I actually turned back to where I thought Micky was, and making a "Ummm what the heck do I do now???" face. I was waiting for some kind of acknowledgement from the girls, like when you try to pass someone in a tight space and you make eye contact and say excuse me. I had never even imagined what I would do, so there was no reaction. I really felt like if I took just 1 more step I would kick, or headbutt, or both, some girl who had no idea I was even behind her. It was also weird to know I was so close to these people and they did not seem to move, or even skip a beat in their conversation, I could hear thm laughing! I guess it's all those non-verbal social ques that you miss out on when you can't see. I really wanted them to move so I could get to that wall and square off.
Now I know what to do, next time I will just say excuse me, and go on my way. I know this will happen more as we go into other more populated areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment