Thursday, February 11, 2010

Walking Like a Granny at the Mall

I was looking forward to trying out my diagonal cane technique again today. When I first started walking out in the open area of the ground floor my echolocation was not working. I was trying so hard to listen I think I stopped paying attention to the way my hips were positioned. It was very frustrating to have my other form of information cut off. In a way, because my vision is being blocked, that echolocation/hearing ability has become my new way to feel safe and in control. When I lost that I felt anxious all over again. This makes me wonder how being outside around cars and loud noises will effect me.
Once back in my comfortable narrow hallway I felt a sense of relief. I could hear everything, I could sense the walls, and when the janitor at the end of the hallway turned on the water it was like a giant arrow pointing me in the perfect direction. However, I know these things will not always be there, and I will not always be walking to nice quiet narrow hallways.
Trailing was really difficult. I realized later I should have gone around the middle section of the ground floor the other way, so that I could still hold my cane in my right hand. My left hand/wrist is weaker, and as much as I tried to keep my cane tip in front of me, when it got caught in a brick I had a hard time pushing it out.
Stairs were a little scary at first, but ended up being a good learning experience. I actually thought going down was much easier than going up. Maybe because I had to put more effort into going up the stairs, keeping the cane in front of my body and one step ahead. Going down felt more natural and the way I held the cane felt better too. Walking from the ground floor to the top was fun. I got a little lost going from the one set of stairs to the other on the first floor. At one point while I was out in space I just asked David where we was and followed the sound of his voice. (Thanks David!)
Walking down the hallway like a "granny at the mall" was really overwhelming at first. I just felt like the faster I walked the harder I was going to hit the wall. I felt like I was practiclly running, and then Micky put his hand on my back and kept saying faster, faster! I understand how some kids would feel a little upset by that, someone just pushing you without warning while you're already overloaded with information and scared you'll crash face first into a wall. Also when I was walking fast it gave me less time to really listen to the walls and adjust, and I wasn't happy about losing that. It all came to a wonderful ending when Katie and I somehow ended up next to each other repeatedly bumped shoulders until I ran into something while trying to race her(a card swipe thing outside of a door...I think?)
It was really interesting to take off my blindfold and see Katie walk "fast". Thats when I realized why Micky kept telling us to go faster. We were not running like I felt we were, he was trying to get us to a moderate pace. Everything feels so much faster when you can't see where you are going.
I had a lot of fun today, and look forward to two point touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment