Wednesday, March 31, 2010

teaching

Teaching on Tuesday was really challenging at first but then it gradually got better. I know we have all had some major realizations since the last time David was under the blindfold, but wow! he was good. When I found out he was disoriented at the top of the stairs in Dodd I was almost relieved. I wanted to have an opportunity to teach him, to see what it would be like when a student is 'lost' and how to successfully get them back on track. Again, it is really helpful having Micky around to intervene with helpful hints and suggestions. Sometimes I get irritated with myself because the answer seems so obvious, but other times when Micky explains something I think I would have never thought of it. I really do enjoy the part teaching part learning how to teach process.
When David went up the spiral stairs in Dodd I was surprised that he got turned around because visually it appeared so simple. I thought he would have been more likely for him to get lost on the bottom floor of Dodd when the hallway shifted. It reminded me of what I think Rovetta might look like, so I guess I thought David would have the same problem.
The elevator wasn't too bad, and it was really neat to see how the bottom floor lined up with the top. The anticipation of getting into the elevator is the worst, but once I was in I feel a bit better, like 'well I'm already in so I have no choice but to keep going' I liked Micky's point about 'it's time to be a teacher' and not to let if effect my student. While I know David understands my weird thing with elevators, it did remind me that one day I will have students that need to use elevators, and I have to step it up and deal with it for their benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment