Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Observations

Watching Katie in Bellamy on Tuesday was the first time I felt like I was observing the role of the teacher more than the student. Katie was doing really well, but getting confused, and a few times I started to suggest something, but then didn't want to interrupt. David was great, and we all try different things when teaching a new route, but there were some ideas I had. Katie seemed to be having trouble making all the new turns, as well as staying on the correct side of the hallway. I walked the route behind Katie and noticed that after she crossed the T-intersection of the hall, there was really no 'wrong way' that she could get lost in. For the first few times traveling that route she could have trailed one side of the hallway all the way down following it's turns and would have ended up at her classroom. The same thing would have worked for her route back to the doorway by the stairs. One way to help with this new route that was full of turns could be to use velcro boards. I saw the O&M teachers at FSDB use them all the time. They would stick different shaped pieces of velcro together on a velcro board to make a tactile map of the route. The student could then feel it before they started the route to understand what was ahead of them. Student could also pause while walking the route and feel where they currently were on their velcro board map. From what I saw this really helped some students put the different steps of a new route together.
Another thing I noticed was that when Katie reached the classroom for the first time there was a discussion of what Katie could and couldn't do. Could she make it back to the front door? or the stairs? or the doorway? I was watching Katie, and I could picture the same situation I have been in when in Rovetta. Having everyone talk about what you may or may not be able to do. I felt like it might have been beneficial to include Katie in the discussion about her abilities. I know with all students this is not possible because some will not be willing to try new and challenging things, but with us I think it would be appropriate.
As soon as David told Katie to make a diagonal turn I could tell there were going to be problems. We had already noted that day how Katie had a tendency to "crab walk" sideways at funny angles off the wall. I could guess that she might have issues doing it intentionally because making a diagonal turn could be anything between walking straight to making a 90 degree turn. When I am under blindfold a diagonal turn feels like a huge area. I think once she had some more practice a diagonal turn could be tried again. She had learned so much in that one lesson it seemed like too much to add a diagonal turn.
David, I'm sorry if it made you feel weird that I was standing behind you writing furiously. I just had a lot of ideas and didn't want to forget them. I didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable I think you're a great teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment