Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Big Reveal

Seeing my building on Thursday was really interesting. As much as we have done things under the blindfold before, like in making food in our daily living class or trying to read braille in our reading and writing class, nothing compared to this experience. It showed me for the first time the difference between what my concepts were and what really was there. In a way it almost bridged the gap between a blind student's perspective and concepts of their environment, and their teachers knowledge of what is really in the environment. It was like I knew just enough to get by and do what I needed to do, but when the blindfold came off I could understand so much more. Everything that Katie and Mickey had tried to tell me about the area finally made sense, and for the first time I could see with my own eyes the area that had given be trouble. It was also really weird just to see how different my images of Rovetta were. I knew where the stairs were, but thought a door separated us, I knew the hallway curved but never thought it just stopped and then stuck out in another direction, and I thought the hallways were more open and not so dark and depressing looking. It was as if my image of the hallway was very fuzzy, vague, and only based on what I physically experienced, the rest was filled in by my assumptions.
It was also really fun watching Katie and David see their buildings. I now know what I must have looked like in my building, marveling at what everyone else has seen several times. Katie had some on the same visual assumptions that I did, about color and shape of our areas. I agree Bellamy would be cool if it had green tiles on the walls. I particularly enjoyed watching my student, David's, reaction. It was really interesting to see what he pointed out, like the ugly '70s couches in the lounge, and the door that leads to nothing on the second floor of Dodd. I was glad he got to see the crazy courtyard and now believes me that there was no way to trail to the other doorway. As much fun as it was to watch Katie and David see their areas and make those visual connections to what they thought they knew, I have to realize I will never be able to do this with my students. They will always have their own idea of where we are and what is around us, and all I can do as a teacher is try to give them the best instruction possible and deal with problems as they arise.

This whole experience has helped me gain a better understanding of what it would be like to be a person traveling with a visual impairment. I will need to remember the assumptions that I made and try to help my future students avoid making them, or make sure I offer many opportunities for clarification and concept building. This experience was truly unique, and what I am taking away from it is an invaluable understanding of just how much you can miss when your vision is impaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment