Wednesday, May 12, 2010

we're taking it to the streets yo

Walking outside today was a completely new experience. There were so many sounds, smells, and it was so hot! Going last had it's advantages. I got to see how easily you can get sucked into a drive way and end up walking into the middle of the road. Poor David! That was the first time I looked around and thought about the cars, I mean I knew they would be there posing a threat, but it wasn't until David was in the road and we had to kind of stand out into the road and hold our hands up so cars would stop, that I realized how important this new level of mobility is. Inside a student could walk into the wrong classroom, or at the very worst forget where a set of downward stairs are and fall. But I'm pretty sure as Mickey showed us in the Stone building with "Jill", falling down the stairs is way better than being hit by a car. Another really scary moment for me was when I took off my blindfold to see the huge oak tree that was sticking out by the corner of Bronough and Call. How could a blind person know that was there? And if it blocked their sound of an on coming car, and blocked the driver's view of the blind person, I dont' want to imagine how that might end. In a way this seriousness motivates me to pay attention, focus on my environment, and stay very aware of what I am doing. I have to make sure that it does push me to try harder, otherwise I think I might become too cautious and miss things.
Outside can be a lot more confusing than inside. Sidewalks end, streets shift over, sometime there are stop signs, somethings there are lights. I really noticed this with the median in Park Ave and how it sudden shifts to the south once Park reaches the cemetery. Mickey made the comment that the road moves because it was built after the cemetery, and they couldn't just move a really old cemetery. That has helped me make sence of things...not making sense. Buildings for the most part are built all at once, with one designer, and one set of blueprints. Sometimes buildings are re-modeled or additions are built, but these are still based on what was originally there. Outside things are completely different, especially in an area that has seen a lot of change over the years like downtown Tallahassee. Whoever built and designed the library had nothing to do with the office building next door. Because of this their driveways, enterances and other features are different. I'm sure these might serve as landmarks and ques later, but right now their inconsistency is confusing. We are used to nice long hallways, doors, and stairwells, that all fit together. Because of this the transition to outside might take me a few practices to really get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment