Monday, May 10, 2010

Seeing Eye and New York

The Seeing Eye was amazing! I'm so glad I got the opportunity to see how everything works first hand. They were so nice and I learned a lot. Some of what we heard I already knew, but the hands on experiences were eye opening. I loved the walk we did where we got to watch a blind student with their dog. I got to see how their mobility is different when they are using a dog instead of a cane. I also thought their training program was incredible! When we saw what they called "intelligent disobedience" I was impressed. That was the moment I realized that these dogs are not just really well bred well mannered dogs that understand "left" and "right". That's when I began to understand just how intelligent a Seeing Eye dog is, that they really can go beyond what a cane can do and protect the blind person. I also really appreciated the way they kept mentioning that they are there to help our students, that the Seeing Eye and COMS should work together to do what is best for their clients. I might be under their spell right now, but as a COMS if I have older mature students who I think could handle having a Seeing Eye dog, I would strongly encourage it. The happiness and confidence that I saw in the three students who shared their stories was motivating. When I go to FSDB in a few weeks for their prom I have at least 1 student in mind who I think would be perfect for a Seeing Eye dog.

New York was wonderful! So much happening, so much to see, I never wanted to stop walking. I really enjoyed the subway museum. I learned things that day that I would have never gotten to experience in Tallahassee or most cities. China town was an experience, but now I have a really cool and kinda sketchy story to tell everyone! And a nice watch! I loved the city so much, I can't wait to go back. I think I'm starting to annoy my roommates because every other sentence I say it "Well, in New York there was this..." or "New York has that but it's bigger/better/more interesting..." I was sad to leave, but I am very excited to start our outdoor mobility. Hopefully my cane will be here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment